Tours & Activities
Whale Shark Tours
Isla Mujeres is not only home to some of the top beaches in the world, but it is also blessed to be one of the destinations with the highest whale shark migrations on the planet. In other places in the world you might have to search for days to spot just one whale shark, whereas in Isla Mujeres you are almost guaranteed to spot multiple whale sharks, ranging from a few to a hundred any given day during season (May-September). These gentle giants migrate near Isla Mujeres once a year where the Gulf of Mexico and the Caribbean Sea meet, following the plankton that they feed on, and if you’re lucky you’ll also get a chance to swim with the giant manta rays that often appear alongside them.
We will venture out to find the whale sharks at 8:00 am, and if we’re lucky we will spot a vast variety of sea life on the way to the whale shark site including sea turtles, flying fish and even dolphins. After everyone on the boat has swam their allotted amount of times with the whale sharks, we will head back to Isla Mujeres’ famous North Beach, rated as one of the top beaches in the world by Trip Advisor and #1 in Mexico, to take a relaxing swim and feast on freshly prepared ceviche and guacamole. If you prefer to do some additional snorkeling, we can take you to “El Farrito” snorkeling spot instead of north beach. Don’t miss out on this once in a lifetime opportunity if you plan on visiting Isla Mujeres between May and September. We promise you that it is an experience that you will never forget!
Our boats have comfortable seating, are fully shaded, and we can also provide you with a boat with a bathroom onboard upon request. We have an experienced team of professionals with vast skill sets, and offer a one of a kind experience unlike any other tours on the market.
Price per person
$1000 USD 1-5 ppl , $1300 USD 6-10 ppl
- What’s Included:
- Booking Information:
- Shaded Comfortable Boat (with restroom upon request)
- Certified Bilingual Captain & Guide
- Whale Shark Briefing
- Sandwiches and Fruit on the Boat
- Soft Drinks, Water & Beer
- Ceviche Lunch & North Beach Swimming or Lighthouse “El Farito” Snorkel Stop
- Snorkel and Fin Rental
- Taxi Service to the Marina (Isla Mujeres only)
- National Parks Entrance Fee and Taxes
- Pickup available in Cancun, Cancun Hotel Zone & Isla Blanca for Additional Cost (please inquire HERE) link to contact form
- Deep Sea Fishing can be added on for an additional cost (please inquire HERE)
|7:30 AM||Meet at Marina (Taxi pickup at 7:15)|
Orientation and Boat Departure
(30 Minutes – 1.5 hours to arrive at Whale Shark Site)
|12:00 PM||Return to Isla Mujeres|
|1:30 PM||Ceviche Lunch at Playa Norte or at Lighthouse “El Farito” Snorkel Spot|
|3:00 PM||Return to Marina|
(Times may vary depending on group’s departure time, amount of time desired to swim with the Whale Sharks and at North Beach/Lighthouse; however, the boat will not return to the marina later than 3:00 PM)
The client can choose their start time anytime from 7:00 AM until 10:00 AM if you book privately; however, we recommend a start time of 8:00 am for this activity.
To make sure that you have the best whale shark experience possible we make the following recommendations:
- Avoid consuming alcohol the day before the trip, we’ll reward you with a cold one at the beach after the tour!
- Take a Dramamine pill the night before and the morning of the trip. We provide them for you in case you forget.
- Bring an underwater camera and a floating handle, or rent one from us!
- Wear a long sleeve swim shirt, hat, and/or reef-safe sunscreen.
- Arrive to the marina 15 minutes before your trip is scheduled. It is better to be one of the first boats to the site to make
- sure we maximize your face to face time with these gentle giants.
Bring a towel and a dry change of clothes.
- Remember: Swimming with the Whale Sharks is an adventure activity, just like Deep Sea Fishing or Scuba Diving. We are visiting these creatures in their natural habitat, and there is absolutely no way to predict how far, how many, or where these wild creatures are each morning. Many elements, such as the brightness of the moon, amount of rain the night before, ocean currents, etc. determine what we encounter from day to day at the whale shark site. The most important thing to assure that you have the best experience possible is to go with a reputable company like Isla Spirit Adventures, who has professional captains and responsible guides that will inform you of any predictable weather and whale shark conditions a week before your scheduled tour, which allows time to reschedule or cancel, and who will also get you up close and personal with the whale sharks, while still respecting their migratory patterns.
A 50% deposit is required to reserve your desired tour dates. Whale Shark tours fill up months before the season starts, and it is highly recommended that you reserve your spot as soon as possible. All deposits can be paid through our BOOK NOW page and the remainder can be paid either via PayPal (plus 4.5% PayPal fees) or in cash on the day of the tour.
Canceling 1 week or more before activity – 0% penalty (full deposit refund)
Canceling between 1 week to 2 days before activity – 50% penalty (half of deposit refunded)
Canceling 48 hours or less before activity – 100% penalty (no deposit refund)
If activity is canceled due to port closure, Isla Spirit Adventures will work with clients to rebook activity; if activity cannot be rebooked due to port closure before client’s official departure, deposit will be returned in full.